July 6, 2010

Frustration

I have aphids.

I think I have ALL the aphids.

I have red ones, black ones, green ones, little teeny white ones, and probably ones I haven't found yet.

I used my resources to try and find the best way to deal with the aphids.

Step 1: Spray them away with water - Works for green/white aphids. Black/Red just laugh

Step 2: Squish the little buggers - Works for all aphid types, but is time consuming. Are you really going to
turn over every leaf?

Step 3: Spray the leaves with Soapy water: Did not work for me, at all.

Step 4: Spray the leaves with a garlic/onion/water mixture: Worked at keeping the green/red aphids at an acceptable level, but did not phase the black aphids.

Step 5: Buy aphid lions. Yes, aphid lions. Those would be lady bug larvae. They eat between 600-1200 aphids and are a sure thing.

Step 6: Buy cloth netting to keep the robins and other birds from eating your lady bugs before they even have a chance to lay down some aphid lions. SERIOUSLY.

I made it all the way to step 6. I left loads of ladybugs out there under the cloth that covered the biggest infestation which was in the beets. I uncovered it today, expecting to see some beautiful aphid free beet greens. I instead found more aphids than ever. I did find 5 or 6 ladybugs, but they were just lounging around, having a good old time with their new friends, the aphids.

I was heartbroken. The beets were really starting to look terrible, a lot of withered leaves, all of the new growth was a black/grey color (completely covered in aphids). I was left with few options. I could try to fight these pesky bugs, and risk them spreading to the other plants or I could take up the small patch of beets that I had, and compost them. I chose the latter. We are not big on beets, and the sunflowers are already covered in those black aphids. I didn't want them to go further. The sunflowers have a good population of ladybugs on them, so Im sure they are laying eggs which should hatch soon.

Im happy we get our first CSA box tomorrow. At least someone knows how to grow food properly.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for not spraying our little garden with chems...I know you considered it, but I'm glad you didn't :-) Don't worry about the aphids and don't be too hard on yourself. The garden looks great and is growing so well. Yes, it's too bad about the beets, but like you said, we aren't big on beets anyways ;-) Love ya!

    P.S. Where do the aphids come from!?!?!? Do you think the beets got the worst of it because they are closest to the sidewalk? Just a thought that occured to me....or is it just something they like to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature will take it's course...but, as your garden is very close to cars and sidewalk etc...maybe the birds who also eat the aphids, are just too scared to land there. How about trying a bird bath perhaps...somewhere nearby but kinda protected..???..to encourage them to check out your raised beds.

    Yes, that hard shot of water knocks off the little beaks of the little..as you say..Buggers)))but you need to hit them..hard and fast)))not gentle.

    Don't be too hard on yourself either...thin the beets maybe, a little, keep at them with the water, and stand by...it will improve. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete