March 21, 2010

Resources

Here are the books that I currently own on gardening. I recently expanded my collection by a substantial number.

I bought most of the books through http://www.abebooks.ca/ which is a world-wide collection of used book sellers. Amazing, you can find just about anything on the site. I have been really impressed at the quantity of books, especially rare ones, and the prices are very, very reasonable.

1) Square Foot Gardening - by Mel Bartholomew

Im the kind of person that needs explicit step by step instructions on how to do things, otherwise I feel that Im going to do something wrong. Mel does just that, his instructions were down to the little details. He is also very practical and flexible in the materals he recommends for the raised gardens. My 2009 garden was a 4x4 raised bed (which incidentally was photographed by the google maps street view) and worked very well. His recommendations for how many of a certain plant can be put per square foot is invaluable and Im sure I will be using that for years to come. You can find most of the information on his website http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ for free.


2) The Vegetable Gardeners Bible -

This is another great book. He also uses a more compact style gardening method, but he has a lot more space to work with. Again, I like it because he goes through gardening in excruciating detail. For example he dedicates two entire pages on breaking down the seed package, yes the package. You would be surprised how much info is on there. Actually planting the plants in the garden isn't discussed until about 1/2 way through the book!  Nice big color pictures make this book a joy to go through.












3) Grow Organic - A simple guide to Nova Scotia vegetable gardening - Elizabeth Peirce

Hot off the press! Hurrah, a region specific gardening guide. Excellent book with great pictures. I learned about compost teas and she has one of the ONLY references I can find about using seaweed garden beds.
4) Garden Way Bulletin A-4 -Potatoes, Sweet and Irish
No picture for this one. I found this at a used bookstore in Sidney, BC last month. Written in 1974 it gives you the ins and out of potato growing. Very helpful. Its only a small pamphlet. Im not sure where you would find this now, I did a quick google search and didn't come up with anything.

5) Make your Garden Feed You
This is an interesting book. Again, a total fluke find in a book store in Sidney,BC. Written in the 1940's during WWII to encourage people to become more self sufficient to help the war effort. A great deal of info on gardening in small spaces. He even talks about chickens and how to build appropriate coops! I like history, so this book was a must have for me.
6) Organic Gardening in Cold Climates -

I haven't had the chance to go through this in detail, but it seems like it might hold a few pearls of wisdom.


7) Cold Climate Gardening -
Another book I have yet to sit down with. Its on the shelf, looks like it might be relevant. Will get to it at some point.



Inspirational Books
1) Animal, Vegetable Miracle - Barbara Kingsolver

If you enjoy eating, and you haven't read this book, stop what you are doing, order this book online and choose expedited shipping (I know it costs more, but you need to read this book now). I have read this book 3 times, and I am gradually going through the audio books (read by the author!).

This book was my inspiration for starting a garden. She has a way of writing that allows you to smell the garlic and onions cooking on the stove, or experience the taste of fresh home made bread.

Barbara writes about her families experience living and eating locally for one year in rural Virginia. Its more than that though, she talks about food culture, raising children and about being a good neighbour.


2) Farm City - Novella Carpenter
Novella wrote a book about starting an urban farm in the ghetto, in california. She doesn't just grow tomatoes though, she has chickens, ducks, BEES, goats, pigs and rabbits. This book definitely had more of a meat slant to it than any other book I have read on this topic. She maintains a blog which you can find in my blog list. The only thing missing from her book was a few pictures of her urban farm, luckily I found them online!

3) 100 Mile Diet- Alisa Smith & JB MacKinnon

One of the earliest books in this genre. A quick enjoyable read. A bit artificial but still interesting. I don't feel sorry for people in California or British Columbia, what with their 11 month growing season..:)
4) In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan
A serious look at industrial agriculture. I think this was an attempt to boil down the Omnivores Dilemma. Michael Pollan is a well known journalist on this topic, he is loaded with information and factiods. He has certainly done his research, but I find his books tough reads. He has a tendency to ramble and spew out fact after fact. If you can get by that he makes some really good points.
5) Omnivores Dilemma - Michael Pollan


One of the first books on the subject by author Michael Pollan. I really enjoyed reading this book, although I haven't quite finished it yet. I borrowed it from the Library and, of course, they wanted it back! This book focusses on Corn and Beef. Amazing. Until you start looking into these things, you would have never thought things could be so bad. Unlike the Food Inc movie, this book, which that movie is basically based on, is quite uplifting and he makes you realise that you can be the difference.




That is my reading list. If anyone is reading this as knows of other books that might fit into these categories I would love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment