April 11, 2010

Hoop Covers

I have done a bit of research and reading online about row covers. Last year I followed the SFG method of two crossed PVC pipes joined by one or two tie wraps. This year, with my 20ft extension, I needed something different. I used PVC pipes again (probably metal is better, but alas, this is what I have) and arranged them parallel and about 3 feet apart. My plan was to use a plastic cover with one side stapled and the other held down by cement blocks. This plan needed some tweaking however.

I realised that I would need something to hold the plastic onto the PVC pipes. I have seen several items online that were specifically made for this purpose, but I wanted to get things going this weekend (one of the few I have free this month). I bought 36 large binder butterfly clamps from staples. They are working fairly well. It has been extremely windy here this weekend and a few times when I was getting things up more than one went flying!

Its all together now (see below) and after discussing things with some local gardeners I decided to put in a few carrots and radishes to get things going.

My main concern now is that the soil I bought is too, well "soil-y". The soil is "garden soil" from Kel-Ann organics in Bedford, and he assured me it was a soil I didn't need to add anything to. But I can't help but feel that its too dense and that the roots will have a hard time getting down into it. There are also a large number of rocks in the soil. This is probably good for drainage, but it certainly seems like a lot. Anyone have experience with soil from Kel-Ann? Worst case scenario I have to take away some of the soil and add peat moss or compost or something like that.

Next project - Potato Bed!


1 comment:

  1. Bob (Lake City Farm)April 14, 2010 at 1:02 AM

    Looks like you've got a nice setup. We're enjoying the pictures showing how this thing comes together. Great work.

    ReplyDelete