April 5, 2010

Building the Box

Construction on the Mega-Box has begun. I purchased 5 boards of Nova Scotia Spruce that were 1x12ft and had one cut into two 4 foot lengths. The long four would obviously serve as the sides and the shorter boards would be the ends. I added a third board in the middle for stability. I bought a few stainless steel brackets and some screws. Total cost about $100 .


The total time to build was about 1.5 hours. I was worried that with such a long box, it wouldn't sit flat on the irregular surface, but it was really quite fine. I only had to shift a few areas. The box is nice and sturdy. You can see at the end there are two PVC pipes bent into a frame shape. This will serve as a support structure for the plastic covering. More on that later.

I also bought the dirt today. Its going to be delivered in 2 days. I bought 2 yards of bark mulch to put around the box so that ugly gravel would be covered. It might keep the weeds down too. Very exciting times here on the mainland!

No comments:

Post a Comment