June 28, 2010

Summer

This tomato plant is growing like mad. I think It has nearly doubled in size since the last update.
The potatoes are growing well. As you can see below, the ones planted in dirt have grown larger and faster than the ones planted in the seaweed. Probably time to hill these potted ones.
Not sure how to "hill" these ones. I guess we'll see what happens. The main problem with the seaweed is keeping them hydrated. The seaweed dries very quickly.
Tomatoes!
Peppers!
The sunflowers are really growing big now. The only problem is they seem to have attracted a ton of black aphids. Ugh, they are easy to squash, but annoying anyway. The ants are going wild with the aphids, but I believe they are just "herding" them. The aphids secrete a sweet liquid that the ants love, so they hang around them. I need some lady bugs.
Caught in the act. I sprayed the whole garden the other day with a garlic water mix and that seems to have lessened the aphid population. They were going to town on the sweet little lettuce plants, and had made their way to the tomato plants too. I couldn't let that happen!
This batch of radishes grew quicker and fatter than the first ones. They still taste great though!
The beets are comming along.
Basil is getting very leafy. We ate some of the lime basil the other day, very nice.
The kale is very pretty, but Im not sure when to harvest it. Perhaps now?


An overview of how green the garden is comming along.



The pole beans are climbing! I wonder if they are too small for this time of the year. I read that they don't like the summer heat, so perhaps I planted them too late, or didn't have enough nitrogren fixing bacteria in the soil.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking garden you have there bud ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is great, and I love the raised beds. Nice row cover also. Kale can be eaten raw when young in salads, and when it get's to be a trooper, and it will...you can chop it up and freeze for soups all winter, or use it in just about anything you cook from here on out. Check recipes on google...can be eaten as chips. Hope your pole beans aren't suffering too much..I had to plant four times but they are on their way now. Happy gardening and a truly great goal to grow your own and eat local which I share.

    ReplyDelete